Monday, September 1, 2008

Watchful and Thankful - On a Monday?


Yesterday's sermon was on the nuts and bolts of prayer and came from Colossians chapter 4 verses 2-4. It was a reminder that we are called to devote ourselves to prayer (be consistent and intentional) and that we should be both "watchful" (looking forward for God's agenda instead of our own) and "thankful" (looking backward and remembering what He's done so far).

So here I am on a Monday morning. I'm not bantering from the basement because all three of my kids are down there and I'm in the living room trying to get some work done. My wife is out of town and so I'm on kid and pastor duty. I can hear the crying and fighting as I type knowing it's building up to a nuclear melt down that will need to be dealt with in the next few minutes.

Just a minute I hear them coming up the stairs now . . .

I suspect many of you are having a similar kind of Monday. Maybe it's kids that fight or finances that don't add up or morning sickness or who knows what. This is why we're told to "devote" ourselves to this prayer thing. It's when we feel the least like doing it that we need to do it. So from the bowels of a Monday morning, which is probably a better place to try this truth on for size than the Sunday morning hoopla, hear the sermon again. "Devote yourselves to prayer being watchful and thankful" and have a great Monday!

No comments: